University Of Maryland Student Dead After Adenovirus Outbreak

Olivia Paregol died Sunday at Johns Hopkins Hospital after developing pneumonia, for which she had to be hospitalized several times, The Baltimore Sun reported.

Paregol was being treated for Crohn's disease, a inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, when she contracted adenovirus, her father told Washington, D.C., ABC affiliate WJLA.

Officials say the affected children became ill between September 26 and November 12 and had severely compromised immune systems. "The vast majority of adenovirus infections result in the common cold and don't merit much worry".

The letter acknowledged in part that on November 19, the university learned that "the testing of one specimen sent to the CDC revealed Adenovirus 7, a strain that may cause more severe illness". "They recommend anyone with chronic medical problems such as asthma, diabetes, or illnesses that lower your immune system or take medicine that lowers their immune system remain vigilant", the statement continued.

University Health Center director David McBride reportedly said they had been working with the Maryland Department of Health and the Prince George's County Health Department to identify other cases.

The University Health Center said it became aware of a student's adenovirus case November 1. and had been closely monitoring for other reported cases.

"It didn't help the illness, I think that's a really fair statement we don't know there's causation yet, but it didn't help things", Paregol said.

"We don't want any other kids to have this happen to them and God knows we don't want any other parents to have this unimaginable grief that we have", said Ian Paregol, Olivia's father.

Adenovirus has been in the news in recent weeks after at least 11 children died from the disease at a rehab facility in New Jersey. Doctors usually recommend rest, plenty of fluids, and over-the-counter medications to relieve symptoms like pain and fever. Lauren died of Adenovirus 7. It has proven deadly in cases of those with compromised immune systems.

The virus - which causes colds and pneumonia - has killed 11 students at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in New Jersey to date. "The strain has been particularly associated with disease in communal living arrangements and can be more severe", the New Jersey Department of Health said in a statement last month. Given the similar symptoms, adenovirus infections are often mistaken for the flu.

The agency also said, "Adenoviruses are usually spread from an infected person to others through close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands, the air by coughing and sneezing, touching an object or surface with adenoviruses on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands".

Vanessa Coleman

Comments