Terminally Ill Baby Charlie Gard Will Move To Hospice Care To Die

At the start of the hearing, the parents' lawyer Grant Armstrong had said they had found a doctor who could help them.

On Monday, Charlie's parents gave up their battle in court, acknowledging that time had run out and that their son would die within days, not even living to see his first birthday on August 4.

The Great Ormond Street doctors said it would not help and would only prolong the baby's suffering.

On Thursday, the hospital was allowed to proceed with its proposal to move Charlie to a hospice on Friday.

In Charlie's short life he has brought attention to many issues when it comes to medical care for a child.

The case has triggered a heated global debate in the press and on social media about who should decide a child's fate, and has drawn comment from U.S. President Donald Trump and Pope Francis. He said Charlie should be allowed to die with dignity.

"GOSH have denied us our final wish", the statement began.

Great Ormond Street doctors said life support treatment should end shortly after he moved to a hospice.

"Charlie's parents have tirelessly advocated for what they sincerely believed was right for their son, and nobody could fault them for doing so", a spokeswoman for Great Ormond Street said.

He requires invasive ventilation to breathe and can not see, hear or swallow.

Gard and Yates wanted to take their son home to die, "but his doctors said it would be hard to provide him with special ventilators there", Kakissis reports.

He said the baby would be moved to a hospice if the dispute could not be settled by noon today and life-support treatment would end shortly after he arrives.

The Court of Human Rights argued that "undergoing experimental treatment with no prospects of success would offer no benefit, and continue to cause [Charlie] significant harm".

Great Ormond Street Hospital has chided Hirano for initially offering advice on the case without examining Charlie or reviewing his full medical records.

Greg Burke, director of the Vatican press office, said in a July 24 statement that Pope Francis, who had taken a personal interest in the case, "is praying for Charlie and his parents and feels especially close to them at this time of huge suffering". She said it has been "absolute living hell" to wait and wonder when the hospital might end his life support.

The hospital, in fighting the parents' earlier effort to secure experimental treatment, had indicated that it was responsible for sparing Charlie unnecessary pain.

Connie Yates left a courtroom in distress before the ruling.

The statement concluded: "Our thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to Chris and Connie, and we hope that their privacy is respected at this devastating time for their family".

His parents' decision to stop their legal fight drew overwhelming expressions of commiseration and sorrow this week.

Vanessa Coleman