Source: Liverpool reject second Barcelona bid for Philippe Coutinho

So all signs indicate Coutinho is set to become a Barca player in the coming hours, making him potentially available for the Liga opener against Real Betis on August 20.

The Camp Nou outfit do not want to pay more than €100m for Coutinho, as they believe paying over such a price is to overestimate the value of the Brazilian. Liverpool are without a doubt a selling club, it has been since the days of Torres. But the first challenge we have to face is playing Watford, even though everybody is thinking about the Champions League qualifiers.

Barcelona attempted to again test the Reds' resolve for the playmaker with a £90 million bid, having failed with their initial £72m approach last month.

And Souness thinks they will struggle to win the Premier League regardless of whether they keep Philippe Coutinho, who has been been the subject of a failed £90million bid from Barcelona.

"The player wants to leave".

Barcelona's interest in Coutinho has been reported for the last few transfer windows and whilst it may not happen this window it appears a matter of time before he finally makes the move.

'Also you have to ask, if you have the time to react. Plan B is not close to being activated.

'Liverpool is not a club that has to sell players. "But a transfer is also a question of timing".

Liverpool clearly don't have any desire to sell Coutinho this summer and, crucially, don't need to either, with Fenway Sports Group backing Klopp's resolve.

Earlier reports suggested Coutinho was keen on a move to the Spanish giants but had not put in a transfer request.

Coutinho signed a five-year contract at Anfield back in January, with Liverpool ensuring that no release clause was inserted.

Sky said the Brazilian international has told Liverpool he would like to join Barca if a deal can be agreed.

Vanessa Coleman

Comments