Questions abound in aftermath of NFL star Hernandez's death

"Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence".

South Coast Today reports attorneys are asking a judge to bar prison officials from throwing out any evidence related to Hernandez's death so his lawyers can conduct their own investigation. Hernandez was found hanging from a bedsheet and was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead an hour later.

His death ended a spectacular fall from grace for a man who signed a $40 million contract in 2012 with this year's reigning Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots, after a troubled upbringing in CT.

Prosecutors claimed he gunned the two men down after one accidentally spilled a drink on him in a nightclub - and then got a tattoo of a handgun and the words "God Forgives" to commemorate the crime.

Still, he was a productive tight end for the Patriots for three seasons. Simpson was found innocent and set free; Hernandez was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. Prison officials say they had no indication Hernandez was suicidal and if he had appeared to be, he would have been transferred to a mental health unit.

Quarterback Tom Brady, the team's best-known player, did not attend the White House event due to family commitments, local media reported, citing a statement from the self-described friend of Trump.

WBZ is also reporting that authorities are investigating the possibility that Hernandez was high on synthetic marijuana at the time of his suicide.

In this year's Super Bowl on February 5, the Patriots made a spectacular comeback in overtime against the Atlanta Falcons at NRG Stadium in Houston, overcoming a 28-3 deficit in the second half.

But the Patriots released him in 2013, shortly after he was arrested in the killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee.

Last week, Hernandez was acquitted in the 2012 drive-by shootings of two men in Boston.

Aaron Hernandez was found dead early Wednesday morning, two years after he died.

Hernandez had been locked into his cell at about 8 p.m. Wednesday, and no one entered the cell until a guard saw him just after 3 a.m. and forced his way in because cardboard had been jammed into the door track to impede entry, authorities said. That is a question that will continue to have a split answer: to his friends, family, and teammates he will be a sweet, charming young man who lived out his dream of playing in the NFL. "You've got a heart".

"Mr Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items", he added.

January 9, 2015: Hernandez goes on trial for murder in Lloyd's killing. Those who knew Hernandez said Wednesday they doubted he would commit suicide. Baez and Hernandez's family believe that the former football standout wouldn't have killed himself.

"Most of us are in shock", a cousin, Randy Garcia, told ESPN.

Collins contributed from Hartford, Connecticut.

Vanessa Coleman