Liverpool insist Philippe Coutinho is staying amid interest from Barcelona

Barca saw two bids swiftly batted away for the 25-year-old, the last of which was tabled in midweek and totalled €100 million.

Click through the gallery above to see the superstar players Express Sport think Liverpool should target to replace Philippe Coutinho.

However, just a few short hours later, it emerged that Coutinho had reportedly demanded a departure from Anfield.

Jurgen Klopp has submitted his squad for Liverpool's Champions League play-off against Hoffenheim, ahead of the first leg on August 15.

It is understood Barcelona are prepared to pay up to £110m for Coutinho, who signed a new five-and-a-half-year contract at Liverpool in January, but FSG's statement had seemed to clear up his future.

Sky Sports News understands Liverpool have so far rejected two bids from Barcelona for the Brazil worldwide, with the latest offer worth up to £90.4m.

The statement said: "Philippe has tried very hard to find an amicable solution to this situation but to no avail".

"Liverpool is not a club that has to sell players". He joined Liverpool from Inter Milan for £8.5m in 2013. The Spanish club have plenty to spend after selling Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain for a world-record transfer fee of €222m.

This popular vlogger probably echoed many Liverpool fan's thoughts when he said Coutinho was crucial to Liverpool's potential success this season.

Liverpool open their 2017-18 campaign with Saturday's league clash against Watford at Vicarage Road and there are doubts over whether Coutinho will be available for the match, with him having been receiving treatment this week for a back issue.

That is not a problem that Manchester City or United now have, which tells you how far a club that last won the league title in 1990 have fallen down football's pecking order.

Vanessa Coleman

Comments