Images surface of alleged Saudi ‘assassination squad’ following writer’s disappearance

A source in the investigation team set up by the Turkish General Directorate of Security to investigate the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi revealed that the prosecutor in Istanbul will issue charges of hiding or killing a person against 15 Saudis who Turkish sources have said were security officers who arrived on board two planes and were in the consulate at the same time as Khashoggi.

The Saudi consulate referred Reuters to authorities in Riyadh who have not responded to questions about the 15 Saudis, who arrived in the city hours before he went missing on October 2. He had been living in the USA state of Virginia.

The crown prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, ordered an operation to lure Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia from his home in Virginia and then detain him, according to USA intelligence intercepts of Saudi officials discussing the plan.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday evening that United States intelligence intercepts outlined a Saudi plan to detain Mr Khashoggi.

Local press reports suggested he was abducted and taken to Saudi Arabia, though this has never been confirmed. Bob Corker of Tennessee that they "only livestream their tapes".

The kingdom calls the allegation "baseless", but has not offered any evidence to explain why Mr Khashoggi simply walked out of the consulate and disappeared though his fiancée waited outside for him.

During an October 9 interview with CNN's Don Lemon, Boot was extremely critical of Trump's anemic response to Khashoggi's disappearance-declaring, "This administration can not sweep this under the rug". Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist, published critical pieces of the Saudi government and exiled himself to Virginia.

The Washington Post quoted a Turkish official as saying authorities suspect a 15-member team killed the journalist at the consulate.

"We can't let it happen - we're being very tough and we have investigators over there and we're working with Turkey and frankly we're working with Saudi Arabia", he said.

The Post's report follows Defense Secretary James Mattis's remarks about Khashoggi's disappearance, in which he suggested the USA was keeping track of the developments. It's a very serious situation for us and for this White House. She acknowledged the writer first visited the consulate on September 28 "despite being somewhat concerned that he could be in danger".

"We can not let this happen, to reporters, to anybody".

Earlier Wednesday, Republican Sen. He went to the diplomatic building on October 2 with Cengiz but was not seen after entering it. "But as I said yesterday, the free world deserves answers".

"At this time, I implore President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal's disappearance", she said. "But I don't want to rush to judgment".

Saudi whistle-blower Mujtahid, who is believed to be a member of or have a well-connected source in the royal family, underlined that Turkey's investigations into the death of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi would suffice to prove the Al-Saud's crimes and overthrow Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also spoke with the crown prince "to reiterate the United States request for information", Sanders said.

In government-aligned newspapers and on social media, many Saudis have advanced a narrative that the accusations are part of an insidious campaign to smear their country - pointing fingers at Turkey, Qatar and the Muslim Brotherhood, an Islamist group that Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies consider a terrorist organisation.

The two sides have worked together on challenging Iran despite growing concern over the prince's campaign against dissidents, which critics say has shown up the true face of his rule.

Vanessa Coleman

Comments