German magazine stands by its reporting on Cristiano Ronaldo

Christiansen also said that documents reproduced by media outlets in recent days purportedly quoting the player and including details of the non-disclosure accord involving a payment of 375,000 dollars to his accuser were false.

"Once again, for the avoidance of doubt, Cristiano Ronaldo's position has always been, and continues to be, that what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual".

The Portugal global, 33, has firmly denied the allegations, saying it "goes against everything that I am and believe in".

He added material "irresponsibly published" from "stolen documents" included large sections which were "altered and/or completely fabricated".

"We look forward to reviewing any evidence that tends to prove, as Mr Ronaldo's lawyer asserts, that some of the "Football Leaks" documents were altered, fabricated, or contain false/inaccurate information". However, Christiansen has said such documents are "pure inventions".

Ronaldo, 33, has been accused of sexually assaulting Kathryn Mayorga at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

Kathryn Mayorga filed a lawsuit late last month in Nevada saying she was raped by Ronaldo in Las Vegas in 2009.

"While Mr. Ronaldo does not deny the existence of the mutual agreement and release, his motivations for agreeing to that resolution have been twisted, to say the least", Christiansen said.

According to a UK Mirror report citing Portuguese paper Correio da Manha, the 34-year-old Mayorga, who claimed she went to the hospital after leaving Ronaldo's Las Vegas suite in June 2009, before going home, was not telling the truth.

Der Spiegel said: "When we published an article about the settlement agreement between Ms Mayorga and Mr Ronaldo in 2017, his advisors called it "nothing but a piece of journalistic fiction".

Attorney Peter Christiansen on Wednesday (Thursday NZT) issued a statement that doesn't deny Ronaldo and the woman reached a non-disclosure agreement in 2010.

To be clear, Mr. Ronaldo vehemently denies all of the allegations in the Complaint and has consistently maintained that denial for the last nine years.

That is nearly certainly a reference to Der Spiegel, the German publication which reported the existence of Ronaldo's settlement in 2017 and published Mayorga's account last month.

Football star Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the highest paid athletes in sports, with a lifetime contract reportedly worth $1 billion, with Nike alone.

The statement said the NDA is "by no means a confession of guilt" but Ronaldo "merely followed the advice of his advisers in order to put an end to the outrageous accusations made against him" to avoid attempts to "destroy a reputation built thanks to hard work, athletic ability and behavioural correction".

"Unfortunately, he now finds himself embroiled in the type of litigation that is all too commonplace in America", the statement adds.

Vanessa Coleman

Comments