Exploding vape pen caused Florida man's death, autopsy says

According to FEMA, the 38-year-old's death is the first in the United States of America to be caused by a vaping pen.

Tallmadge D'Elia was found dead in his burning bed in St. Petersburg, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

The autopsy report, released this week, listed the cause of death as "projectile wound of head". He died of a "projectile wound of head" in his cranium.

A man has died after an e-cigarette exploded, penetrating his brain and leaving him with burns on 80% of his body.

.

Smok-E Mountain, however, told ABC its e-cigarettes do not explode, suggesting instead that the device's battery or atomiser was likely to blame.

According to the Washington Post, at least 195 incidents of electronic cigarettes explosion or fire were registered by the U.S. Fire Administration from 2009 to 2016. And in 2016, a vape pen user in NY suffered third-degree burns after the pen exploded in his trousers, NBC 4 NY reported.

The man, who was 38 years-old when he passed away, used an unregulated e-cigarette that was manufactured in the Philippines.

A fire in January this year at Denver International Airport was blamed on a vape pen's lithium ion battery.

Compared with more common types of e-cigarettes, mechanical mods typically give users more direct access to the battery and do not use inner circuitry to regulate the voltage. While the jury is still out on that, with the debate still going on strong, what's hard to deny is that these devices are essentially battery packs that have the potential to explode, as we have seen in the past.

Supporters of vaping say that e-cigarettes with nicotine can help people quit smoking. Officials are ruling the death an accident, but that's hardly comforting for D'Elia's friends and family.

E-cigarettes are battery-operated devices that produce an aerosol by heating a liquid, usually containing nicotine, flavorings and other chemicals, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The company claims other business have cloned their batteries in the past, resulting in less safe products.

Vanessa Coleman

Comments