Critically ill baby Charlie Gard dies

His parents confirmed that Charlie had died in a hospice yesterday after a long battle with an extremely rare genetic condition causing progressive brain damage and muscle weakness. She said that "over the weeks and months, Charlie would be forced to remain in his perilous condition - he can't see, can't hear, can't cry, can't swallow". He was then placed on a ventilator that was breathing for him.

His parents, Yates and Chris Gard, spent months trying to persuade London's Great Ormond Street Hospital to let Charlie go to the United States for an experimental treatment that they believed could help him.

But the couple wanted to try a pioneering therapy being developed by Harvard-educated neurologist Dr Michio Hirano, a professor at Columbia University in NY. He was not identified until July under court order. Charlie's doctors opposed the idea, saying it would not help and could cause Charlie more suffering. "But the hospital requested - and the British courts decided - that he should be removed from life support".

The heated commentary has prompted the judge to criticize the effects of social media and those "who know nearly nothing about this case but who feel entitled to express opinions". It turned it into an worldwide issue.

Ms Yates and Charlie's father Chris Gard had wanted to take their severely ill son to the United States for treatment.

Last month Gard was sentenced to death by an European Human Rights Court on a case of human rights that will compel a couple to allow their sick baby to die.

May 23: After analysing the case, three Court of Appeal judges dismissed the couple's appeal two days later.

"It's not unprecedented and unusual for parents and medical staff to disagree on way forward and case to go to court", he added.

That new evidence, came in part from Hirano who testified that there was an 11% to 56% chance Charlie could show clinically significant improvement if treated. However, the McMath case was settled by an agreement between the child's family and the hospital in which the family was allowed to take her from the hospital and continue life support.

Connie Yates, the mother of critically ill baby Charlie Gard, arrives with father Chris Gard at the High Court in London, Monday, July 24, 2017.

Pope Francis had tweeted his support for Charlie's parents. Pro-life campaigners and right-wing politicians from both sides of the Atlantic seized the opportunity to chime in. The hospital reported that its doctors and nurses were receiving serious threats over Charlie's case and London police were investigating.

But the court battle was not over yet. But the hospital argued that he wouldn't be cared for correctly there, and he was transferred to an unidentified hospice facility on Thursday. They regretted that they weren't able to transfer Charlie sooner, as the baby might have had a chance to survive. "Just quality time with Charlie away from everything to say goodbye to him in the most loving way", said Connie Yates. "Mummy and Daddy love you so much, Charlie, we always have and we always will and we are so sorry that we couldn't save you".

They said: "Charlie's passing will leave a huge void in their lives".

He concluded that life-support treatment should end and said a move to a palliative care regime would be in Charlie's best interests.

"Poor Charlie has died", they wrote.

Vanessa Coleman