Climber killed in Mount Hood fall identified as Portland man

Sheriff's office Search and Rescue coordinators were quickly deployed to Mount Hood, setting up a media camp in the Timberline Lodge parking lot above Government Camp.

The rest of the group was safely led down to Timberline Lodge and arrived by 6:40 p.m.

Lee stated that one member of the group had successfully descended down to the injured man, but shortly after, another person in the party had fallen several hundred feet.

The climber who fell between 700 to 1,000 feet on Mount Hood Tuesday has been identified.

There are no requirements for summiting the dormant volcano and no mandatory registration rules, making its peaks crowded.

Climbers used their cellphones to report that conditions were hazardous and described the falling rocks and ice "like a bowling alley", said Air Force Maj. They performed CPR for 90 minutes before a helicopter could airlift Sumi. Most people take at least two days to climb that peak.

Peck said climbers must know when to abandon a summit attempt.

Mount Hood is 11,239 feet tall and is Oregon's tallest mountain. Someone in good shape who is properly prepared can easily complete the climb in a day and be back in Portland for dinner.

Jennifer Wade, recreation and lands program manager for the Mount Hood National Forest, said in response to an e-mail Wednesday that the mountain does not have a "check-in, check-out" system and rescues are only triggered by a 911 call.

"The mountain's always going to be there - your life's not worth it." he said.

The weather is expected to become more unsafe for the climbers still there, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

That's different from the approach on some other iconic peaks. Almost 11,000 people registered to climb the 14,410-foot peak in 2016, the latest figures available. During the peak climbing season that begins in mid-May, there are seven rangers at any given time on the upper mountain.

Mount St. Helens, which is also visible from Portland on clear days, requires permits for those going above 4,800 feet. He was part of a team of four climbers.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said the climber, a man, fell up to 1,000 feet near the summit of Oregon's tallest mountain.

Climbers on the Hogsback Trail had signaled for help with emergency blankets while performing on the downed climber for nearly two hours, Frazier reports. The dormant volcano is home to five ski areas and a popular hotspot for numerous state's ambitious climbers and hikers. But there's no "screen-out" based on experience or skills, Gualtieri said.

Schoenborn added: "You need to be trained (and) you need to go with someone who's experienced".

Vanessa Coleman