Australian man dies after shark attack in Whitsundays' Cid Harbour

Ben McCauley, one of the RACQ CQ rescue crew members who helped airlift the man to hospital, described the scene as "gruesome", according to CNN affiliate Seven News.

A man has died after a shark attack in northeastern Australia's Whitsunday Islands, just over a month after two people were critically injured in separate incidents in the same area.

The man and a female friend were taking turns on a paddle board near the yacht when he entered the water to give his colleague a turn on the board. The injuries to his arm suggest he tried to punch and fight off...

In a joint statement on Monday, the state's tourism minister, Kate Jones, and the state minister for Agricultural Industry development and Fisheries, Mark Furner, warned people to not swim in Cid harbour.

Her condolences came as the Queensland Government is resisting calls to install drum lines in Cid Harbour following a fatal shark attack yesterday, the third attack in the same area in two months.

He died of his injuries, police confirmed early on Tuesday.

"The Whitsundays, there hasn't been a lot of shark research done in that area".

The 33-year-old victim, Daniel Christidis, was among 10 friends who set out from Airlie Beach on the Queensland state mainland on Monday morning on a rented yacht to sail themselves on a five-day cruise through the idyllic Whitsunday Islands, Police Inspector Steve O'Connell said.

The man went into cardiac arrest and had to be resuscitated twice before being flown to Mackay Base Hospital.

The latest attack has renewed debate over shark mitigation measures, but Prof O'Connell and Dr Eleftheriou did not want to get involved.

Prof O'Connell said Dr Christidis showed "amazing patient care" on one occasion getting an upset patient a cake on her birthday.

The Queensland government will hold a shark summit in the Whitsundays this week, in a bid to find a long-term solution to stop attacks in Cid Harbour.

"If you look at white pointer shark attacks they happen between 10am and 2pm and if tiger shark are also in the middle of the day".

The victims were 12-year-old Melbourne girl Hannah Papps, who suffered a "significant leg injury" during the attack, and Tasmanian tourist 46-year-old Justine Barwick, who suffered severe injuries to her right thigh and had to undergo reconstructive surgery.

Vanessa Coleman