After three appeals, NCAA clears State guard Braxton Beverly

North Carolina State's Braxton Beverly won't have to sit out this season for attending class after all.

The NCAA has declared freshman guard Braxton Beverly eligible to compete for the NC State men's basketball team for the 2017-18 season. The NCAA announced its decision Tuesday, less than two hours before the Wolfpack hosted Bryant.

Beverly took two courses at Ohio State before a surprise late coaching change led him to leave.

The NCAA said Beverly can "compete immediately", which means he'll suit up against Bryant at PNC Arena. "He is very grateful", Tompsett said.

"Through all of this, I am still happy with the decision to come to NC State".

Beverly, a 6-foot shooting guard, committed to Ohio State past year out of Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., where he averaged 20.1 points, 6.4 assists and 2.2 steals after moving there from Kentucky. The Buckeyes eventually moved to fire Matta, but not until June when Beverly had been already attending classes. Wolfpack assistant A.W. Hamilton coached Beverly last season at Hargrave.

N.C. State announced October 13 that its initial request for Beverly's eligibility was denied, and it appealed that decision 10 days later. But the NCAA twice refused to budge for Beverly, so he hired a lawyer to apply additional pressure on the NCAA.

It worked this time. His academic work made him ineligible, by the NCAA's "year in residence" rule, to play this season for the Wolfpack.

Whatever that new information is, it helped the NCAA arrive at a decision that almost every single observer of the sport has called for in Beverly's situation.

Vanessa Coleman

Comments